Author Topic: Use Case Scenarios  (Read 4913 times)

Kevin Brennan

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Use Case Scenarios
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 12:21:09 pm »
Actually, you're both wrong. Three domain experts will have seven different views of the domain on any given day.  ;)

Back to nifsmith's post, I have seen the kind of scenario he's talking about used by a couple of authors. It might have been "Software for Use", by Constantine and Lockwood, but I couldn't swear to that. In any case, that form of scenario is intended to help business users visualize how the system will work in practice by supplying concrete details. I think it was called a "usage scenario", and it's not supposed to include all of the complexity of the use case.

The other kind of use case scenario is as Thomas describes.
Sr. Consultant at blue sands Inc. and Vice President, Body of Knowledge at the IIBA. All opinions are my own.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 04:49:45 pm »
Actually, you're both wrong. Three domain experts will have seven different views of the domain on any given day.  ;)

Back to nifsmith's post, I have seen the kind of scenario he's talking about used by a couple of authors. It might have been "Software for Use", by Constantine and Lockwood, but I couldn't swear to that. In any case, that form of scenario is intended to help business users visualize how the system will work in practice by supplying concrete details. I think it was called a "usage scenario", and it's not supposed to include all of the complexity of the use case.

The other kind of use case scenario is as Thomas describes.
Larry Constantine uses "Essential Use Cases".  About seven years or so ago he was a Professor at Sydney University of Technology (I think) and I went to a few of his talks.  I think they are very good.  Also some of his approaches to UI design are excellent (EA could learn from it).

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Kevin Brennan

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 07:21:49 am »
You're right, he does.

Anyway, while I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, I'd definitely recommend "Software for Use" as an excellent resource for anyone who needs to develop UIs from use cases.
Sr. Consultant at blue sands Inc. and Vice President, Body of Knowledge at the IIBA. All opinions are my own.

thomaskilian

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 07:53:18 am »
Seems to be readable :) Just had a glance at Amazon and ordered it right the way.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 05:15:28 pm »
You're right, he does.

Anyway, while I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, I'd definitely recommend "Software for Use" as an excellent resource for anyone who needs to develop UIs from use cases.
Seconded!

Also, look into Goal Directed User Interface Design...

In both techniques the emphasis is NOT on what widgets do I use, but what is the user trying to do?

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

SB57

• EA Novice
  • UML / BA learner driver...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 11:35:11 pm »
Hi

Im fairly new to the UML field but I have a question regarding the 'world view' suggested. I am currently writing a business processing engineering document for a web reservation system and have found that it is true that business representatives do only see things systemwise from an 'overall perspective'.

I have had to 'chunk it up' to get away from the detail, and keep information on how this system works at the most simplest level to gain an understanding from these representatives.

I am currently learning (really learning) the EA programme on my own time to be able to produce diagramming that captures this information correctly so that I can then write defined business requirements for development ideas that I have and out these forward to business representatives.

What I want to work out is with the various views of UML modelling BA principals and programming, are there set documentation template rules that can be used that are a standard within the UML/BA field? Ive looked through RUP standards which look good, in the SPARX website and also other resources but each seem to have their own set of rules...if UML is a standard why isn't documentation? Unless Im missing something??

PSI think the EA tool is very smooth from what I have learned so far....and thanks for any advise in advance :-/

Cheers

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 12:35:12 am »
Well SB,

Since I first uttered the "World Model" idea, I guess I should talk about it.  I think, however, that it would be best done in another thread.

I think the question you are asking is: Are there any predefined templates or methodologies that can be used to create a world model?

Well, mine are not as well formed as they should be and have evolved over twenty years.  However, with the new approach I have of emitting them from the model, I will want to better define them so I'd be happy to discuss with you and others.

If you are asking what is a world model and how does it contribute to the creation of good requirements, that's another question.

Could I ask that you start a new thread (or threads) with specific questions in the titles and we can take it from there...

For example, a thread might be What's a "World Model" and how can it help?

Cheerz,
Paolo
-Semantica-

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 12:58:08 am »
Methods, tools, techniques

UML is a technique
EA is a tool
RUP, agile, blah blah blah are methods

You can use a cement mixer to make a (large) cake, given the right recipe.
You could use a cake mixer to prepare cement.

More pertinently*, you can make different types of cement with a single cement mixer.   All you need is the correct recipe.

Some cakes are better than others, regardles of which mixer is used. It comes down to the chef's technique.

EA is a cement mixer.  It can mix according to lots of different recipes. Will the cake be good - that depends on the chef's technique.

Is one technique better than another? Depends.  Is there an "Idiots guide to making UML souffle with EA?" Non.
Does everyone on this forum have their own opinion as to which is the best technique?  (Does a bear......)

Persevere.  Keep asking questions.  Take all answers with a grain of salt.  Experiment.  Remember one rule "The purpose of a model is to communicate".

Does anyone on this forum know it all?  I can only answer for myself on that one - I certainly dont. (I'm still struggling with chapter 1267, now renamed "Is a port a part or is it moot?  Can you have a part of a port? I'd rather have a port or a pint "

bruce

(* Are some superlatives more better than others? )

"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 01:06:47 am »
[size=13][SNIP][/size]
(* Are some superlatives more better than others? )
To paraphrase Georgie boy...

All superlatives are equal, but some are more equal than others...

Profound non? ;D

Paolo

But seriously... Great advice bruce!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 01:07:13 am by PaoloFCantoni »
-Semantica-

Kevin Brennan

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 02:04:54 pm »
What I want to work out is with the various views of UML modelling BA principals and programming, are there set documentation template rules that can be used that are a standard within the UML/BA field? Ive looked through RUP standards which look good, in the SPARX website and also other resources but each seem to have their own set of rules...if UML is a standard why isn't documentation? Unless Im missing something??

There are two reasons no standard for documentation exists.

The first is that, until recently, there has been no body that was in a position to set standards for BA work. Right now, the IIBA is working towards that goal. But you know, honestly, we're not going to have a standard document template in our materials, and I can say that with complete confidence, because I'm the guy responsible for the standards on documentation.

The reason no standards exist now, or will in the near future, is that there are just too many damn methodologies out there, each of which requires its own set of documentation. Couple that with variation between projects and you get a mess. Most templates end up being designed for a very high level of detail and completeness that may not be appropriate for all projects.

Since we have to cover everything from mainframe COBOL green screen applications to nuclear safety systems to web development, we won't be imposing a standard either. Basically a documentation standard only makes sense if it fits into an overall development process.

There is an IEEE Standard requirements template, but it's not popular amongst OO types. The RUP template is OK and will probably get you by. If you want references let me know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 06:41:34 am by Kevin_Brennan »

SB57

• EA Novice
  • UML / BA learner driver...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 09:06:50 pm »
Hi all...thanks for your words and supporting information ..really valuable to obtain ideas from more experienced analysts as Im still learning a great deal...

Any reference material would be handy that anyone has where they have utilised a template...thanks again :)
Cheers