Author Topic: Activity patterns?  (Read 984 times)

IGreen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Activity patterns?
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:51:36 am »
Hi!

I am wondering if there is a way to create patterns based on activity diagrams?
Based on the GoF patterns examples and the facilities to create your own patterns, apparently, the creation of patterns is restricted to class- and component- diagrams. Did I loose something?

Thanks,
Isa

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Activity patterns?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:08:36 am »
The menu command (Diagram | Save UML Pattern) is available to activity diagrams.  (I think it's available for all diagrams)
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

IGreen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:49 am »
Hi,
yes, I did this, but the problem is that I can't merge an activity in the pattern with an activity in an activity diagram. Only classes, components, interfaces, etc. appear as options for merging. (?)
Thanks again

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:08 am »
Try upgrading to the latest build.  Restrictions on what could be merged were recently removed, and I they are definately options for me.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

IGreen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:06 pm »
Thanks Simon.

I already have the last realease (828). May be I didn't explain in detail the problem. I will try now.

I have created a UML pattern based on an activity diagram (P1). P1 is a pattern available in the resource view.
I have an activity diagram (S1) and I want to apply P1 to S1.
In particular, the problem arises when I try to merge an activity Ap1 (from P1) with an activity As1 (in S1).

I don't have any problem with 'creating' elements and relations from P1 into S1. The problem is with the 'merging'.

In order to merge Ap1 with As1, I have tried to choose As1 from the 'Set Element Classifier' promt window, which shows up from the pattern window (Action | merge | [...]) in the Pattern elements). My problem is that I can't choose an activity from here. The types of Classifiers can be Classes, components, interfaces, collaborations or, classifiers extending those UML types.

Did I miss something again?

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:03:38 am »
I have tried to choose As1 from the 'Set Element Classifier' promt window, which shows up from the pattern window (Action | merge | [...]) in the Pattern elements). My problem is that I can't choose an activity from here.
The filter on the Set Element Classifier dialog is incorrect. That dialog gets used in many different places throughout EA and each re-use defines a list of element types that can appear. Please send in a bug report and somebody will add "Activity" to the list of permitted types for pattern merges.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

IGreen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:25 am »
Thanks KP. I will do it.