Author Topic: BPMN best practices  (Read 947 times)

viarellano

• EA User
    • View Profile
BPMN best practices
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:11:53 am »
Hi,

I have some questions about BPMN.

If this is a profile in EA, how can i create a profile based on BPMN?

BPMN diagrams have being used to represents Business Process on the company, i don't know if this is a good practice to use this notation also to represents, the high level system process that implementes the Business Processes through Use Cases.
This is because i want to extend BPMN notation, that is not a good way for the client to see <<Businness Process>> as the stereotype when i want to represent system process.

Thaks in advance.

Vi

bioform

• EA User
  • Forty-Two?
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN best practices
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:21:24 am »
I am new to that area my self. Yesterday I listen to a good "free" web seminar on this area (link info below), also I purchased yesterday on Amazon the book Workflow Modeling: tools for Process Improvement and Application Development 2nd Edition.

=============================================
NOT a PLUG... It's free you just have to register your contact info...
webcast Business Process Models held on Wednesday March 18.  speaker, Roger Burlton
An archived version of the webcast is available at http://www.businessrulesforum.com/webinars.php?info=382
www.BusinessRulesForum.com  
=============================================

I only got the last few minutes of the presentation (meetings.. aaargh) but he did have some interesting points near the end that might be useful.

David
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once, Space is what keeps it all from happening to you. <unknown>

bioform

• EA User
  • Forty-Two?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:09:57 am »
Lots of views going on... Anyone else have some thoughts, advice, approachs?

bioform
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once, Space is what keeps it all from happening to you. <unknown>

cincykid

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:37:02 am »
At my company we are using BPMN to construct an Enterprise Business Process Model derived from APQC PCF.  Since business processes are performed laterally through the organization and require multiple system resources (apps, database, servers and networks) in order to deliver value, we have decided to apply a system lane in our level 4 models to allow associations to actual IT service and component models.

The system lane allows the IT development and design staff to make the connection between the lower level business processes and deployment models.  Since we are working with a mixed bag of legacy systems and some new development, this seems to work OK.  I'm excited to work with the new BPEL BPMN in 7.5.  This should go a long way to making the connection between business processes and executable components.

Not an easy task here and I would offer a suggestion to ensure the business modelers, the business analysts and IT designers are all highly proficient at their respective modeling domain.  Ensure roles are defined and artifacts/deliverables are specified and validated during concept and design.  Do it right and the build/test phases are a piece of cake; do it wrong and your just "kicking the can further down the road".

The BPMN profile can be found in the Sparx directory on your server/desktop.  Depending up the version, you may or may not have direct access to modify...depends on your administrative credentials.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:37:49 am by cincykid9167 »