Author Topic: Structure Compartment - Alignment and resizing  (Read 1297 times)

minna

• EA User
    • View Profile
Structure Compartment - Alignment and resizing
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
Hi,

I see in EA 10, you can draw a nested diagram in a structure compartment (in ex a class) and display it. The nested diagram elements cannot be moved outside the the class, which is great. But when I want to align the class (containing the nested diagram) with another class, my nested elements are found outside the class they are contained in. This also happens when resizing my parent class to a smaller shape.

Is there any way to prevent this? Say for example to lock the nested diagram elements to to parent class?

Thanks,
Minna

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Structure Compartment - Alignment and resizing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:33 pm »
No. Not possible. You will notices that auto-layout also tears those apart.

But you may ask for a new feature. Maybe you start a thread in Suggestions and send a request via the link bottom right.

q.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:48:30 pm by qwerty »

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:57:54 am »
You could put the nested elements into a composite diagram and set the Class to show the diagram within the compartment. That should keep the elements within the borders of the Class.

When resizing, bear in mind that the Class cannot be reduced to a size smaller than the area naturally occupied by the nested elements or composite diagram. However, the system should not allow you to do that, rather than letting the elements fall out of the boundaries. Have you discussed this with Support?
Best Regards, Roy

minna

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »
Hi Roy,

I see putting the nested elements in a composite diagram works nicely. But then you have to go to into the composite diagram to edit the nested elements, whereas with the Structure compartment you can edit the nested elements in the 'parent' element, which would have made it easier.

When I go into the composite diagram, the relevant toolbox appear with parts, ports, interfaces etc. Is it mandatory to use those elements, or can I use the tools provided in the UML Class toolbox in the composite diagram?

No, I have not discussed this with support yet. I think I will and see what their comment is.

Thanks,
Minna

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:23 am »
Toolboxes - theoretically you can use any toolbox on any diagram. Some combinations of elements and connectors are not 'legal' in UML, but there are also elements and connectors that are presented in more than one Toolbox because they have wider application. Just try using whatever elements and connectors you need - the system will soon tell you if they don't belong on your diagram.
Best Regards, Roy