Author Topic: Activity Parameters  (Read 1265 times)

chrisjenkins

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Activity Parameters
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »
Hi,

I have created an activity as a Callable Activity with a Composite Diagram and it has a '+' at the bottom. I have added a parameter "Outcome A" which is defined as an EndEvent with a direction of "out" and displayed on the edge of the activity.
In the composite diagram I have a start event and sub-activities, I now want to "connect" the sequence to flow to the previously defined End Event Outcome A.
Trying to drop the End Event Outcome A from the Project Browser to the diagram gives the following error message "When dropping embedded elements (Ports, Object Nodes etc.) on to a diagram, you must drop them on their correct owner. For embedded elements fixed to a parent edge, drop them near the desired side."
Any ideas?
Regards

Chris

Nizam Mohamed

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Activity Parameters
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:44 pm »
Right click on the composite diagram and choose "Show Diagram Frame', you can add your activity parameters to it.

But, UML evangelists will argue that you might have to use a call action instead, To do that,
1. Use Call Behaviour action in your composite diagram and use arguments to indicate how the information is expected to be communicated (i.e. between  End Event Outcome A and the next invocation)

chrisjenkins

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »
Just to clarify I'm using BPMN Business Process and trying to achieve something like the second diagram on this URL;
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/10/standard_uml_models/activityparameternodes.html
Apologies for not uploading a diagram, I can't find a host from behind my firewall!
Chris

chrisjenkins

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:22:54 pm »
Hi Nizam,

I can only find "Show Composite Diagram in Frame" when I right click the activity and then it's greyed out, but it sounds like the right sort of thing to be doing, could you expand?

Chris

P.S. my last post was meant generically and not specifically to your suggestion!

Nizam Mohamed

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:28:25 am »
The second diagram in the supplied link has dragged and dropped the activity element into the child diagram as well ( the composite diagram you created under the activity element)
Then they've place the activity parameters to show the inter connections.

You can try the same with the BPMN process as well. Just drag and drop the activity element onto the child diagram as a link, make it reasonably large enough,  and model your sub process within.

Jacob Vos

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »
Hi Chris,

I try to understand what you want to model in order to help you. However the first two sentences of your first post raised questions:

1. BPMN has the concept of a Call Activity which can call a Global Task or a (global) Process. In Sparx EA you can set at an activity the BPMN tag 'isACalledActivity' to 'true', by which you define it as a Global Task. What do you mean with 'Callable Activity'? I would say: a Global Task, because a reusable process isn't an activity.

2. You say you create an activity as a Callable Activity "with a Composite Diagram". Do you mean that you have defined a 'Call Activity' that calls a global Process?

3. Parameters: BPMN has boundary events. Those are different from end events. End events may not be displayed on a boundary.

- Jacob