Author Topic: EA does not update link names in Notes  (Read 7474 times)

Pawel Zubkiewicz

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • zubkiewicz.com
EA does not update link names in Notes
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:16 am »
Hi,

In Notes field of any element I can create a link to existing element (Create -> Link to Existing Element). However when I rename the target element, the link text is not updated in the Notes field.
Is there a way to force EA to update those referenced names?

And another question: when I'm describing pre-conditions for use case I would love to refer (create a link ) to particular value of ENUM class - is that possible?

Maybe, I'm missing one layer of UML modelling here? I know I could use StateMachine diagram and define different states, after all ENUM could be considered as implementation of StatMachine... but creating StateMachines for each ENUM seems like a overkill for many cases.
I did StateMachines for so called Focal Objects in the domain, because main business process is build upon those states, but those are first-class citizens of the domain, not some supplementary, minor, trivial objects  ;D

Any suggestions what to do?
Enhanced Requirement Attributes Addin for Enterprise Architect (ERA Addin) - http://zubkiewicz.com/?p=239

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: EA does not update link names in Notes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:36:49 am »
I don't understand "rename the target element, the link text is not updated in the Notes field". Which target is renamed and which link text isn't updated? Step by step pls. And picture if possible.

q.

VKN

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:40:24 am »
In Notes field of any element I can create a link to existing element (Create -> Link to Existing Element). However when I rename the target element, the link text is not updated in the Notes field.
Is there a way to force EA to update those referenced names?
No.
And another question: when I'm describing pre-conditions for use case I would love to refer (create a link ) to particular value of ENUM class - is that possible?
You mean hyperlink? Then Yes. Select Attribute on the Hyperlink Details dialog.

Pawel Zubkiewicz

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • zubkiewicz.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:10:56 pm »
@qwerty
I will use example

In the picture we see notes of UseCase element. In blue are links to elements of type State defined in some other package.
When I will rename 'Draft' to "something else' the Note in UseCase will not be updated (there still be a link with text 'Draft').

My question was: Is it possible to make EA update those links?
VKN says it's not :-(

Sorry, I don't follow your answer. Maybe I will rephrase question.

Please look at the picture above, I was asking if it is possible to make link to the particular attribute of  Enum class in a same way I made link to State elements?
Enhanced Requirement Attributes Addin for Enterprise Architect (ERA Addin) - http://zubkiewicz.com/?p=239

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:34:13 pm »
No. This is not possible in EA. EA has a number of weak links which are created as copy (the above and at least attribute types). You might ask for a new feature. But you might as well dive in the next pool and hold your breath for the next day.

q.

Pawel Zubkiewicz

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • zubkiewicz.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:21 pm »
Sorry, I don't follow your answer. Maybe I will rephrase question.

I found it in the menu, you need to click an icon 'Hyperlink' as you said (from context menu it's not available - strange).

No. This is not possible in EA. EA has a number of weak links which are created as copy (the above and at least attribute types). You might ask for a new feature. But you might as well dive in the next pool and hold your breath for the next day.

Thanks for answer. I don't see it as new feature, rather the bug in existing one ;-)
Anyway, sometimes I find this forum ironic. Most of "power users"/experts praise EA as the best tool on the market (I agree) and at the same time they say it's impossible to have Sparx fix a problem ;-)

Anyway, thanks @qwerty and @VKN for your valuable help.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 07:21:21 pm »
This is what we call here hate-love ;) If there were an alternative .... but there is none.

q.

ahelinski

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
No. This is not possible in EA.
I found this post while also searching for a solution to this problem. Did not find any solution but... since I'm too lazy to do it manually ;) , I have managed to write a script that will do it for you.

Works great for me (tested only on version EA 12.0.1215 since I only have this version). 

If anyone is still interested, please PM me and I will send you the script with the instructions how to use it.

FrazeBigs

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:18:29 pm »
Don't suppose anyone has a copy of ahelinski's script? I've PM'd him but not heard back yet. I really need it ASAP.
Thanks all

ahelinski

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:52:09 pm »
Hi
Sorry for responding so late!
You can download my script here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2iqIMjoRiL2YXU3OTd6V2hMS01NdEx0WmJaU3ZhOTRKX3k0/view?usp=sharing

Hope it is not too late and you will still find it useful.

Please try it out first (I'm not sure if it works on your EA version) and let me know if you have any problems.

Best Regards,
Alek Heliński

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:05:44 pm »
Just as a remark: Element.Modified = true seems odd since a) it's a date and b) it's r/o. You could/should remove that.

q.

ahelinski

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:23 pm »
Just as a remark: Element.Modified = true seems odd since a) it's a date and b) it's r/o. You could/should remove that.

Thanks! Weird thing that it worked that way (I think that without this part EA did not show my updates... but I'm not sure now).
I'm an amateur in EA scripting (wrote this script just out of necessity, based on examples I could find on the internet).
Unfortunately I do not have access to EA, so I will not be able to test it if I change anything now.

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 02:56:27 pm »
This is what we call here hate-love ;) If there were an alternative .... but there is none.

q.

If I were cheeky, I may reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."