Author Topic: Lost my Project Browser  (Read 4141 times)

supertaff

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Lost my Project Browser
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »
Hi All,

I've been using EA 7 for a long time and recently was making some changes to my project when I lost the project browser. I run EA on over two screens and was moving the screens when it went.

I've been unable though to recover the project browser to the screen and therefore be able to use my current project.

I've tried View|Project Browser, Alt + 0 and various other things to try to recover it but with no success. I've even uninstalled and re-installed EA from my system and tried to clear the registry etc to see if that made any difference, but no matter what I do I cannot retrieve the project browser. This makes it impossible to use EA at present.

Please can you assist me in resolving this as I'm up against some tight project deadlines for which I need my UML model from EA.

Thanks

Mark Thomas

thomas.kilian

Re: Lost my Project Browser
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:44 pm »
Very annoying. The solution was posted by some Sparxian here on the board. Good luck - or get a temp screen...

supertaff

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »
Have been looking through the board and searching but have not located anything yet. Hopefully some sparkian is around who can find the old article.

But does look like I'm going to have to find another pC in the office with EA installed for a borrow to get around this in the short term.

Regards

Mark

thomas.kilian

supertaff

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:21 am »
Tried all the tips from that post, but they didn't fix the issue.

Apart from the entries in the registry and the files within the program files directory do you know if EA stores files anywhere else in Windows to control the layout of the screen. I'm presuming that they are not stored within the projects themselves as I've tried a number of different projects and not one will display the project browser.

Thanks

Mark Thomas

Jan ´Bary´ Glas

• EA User
  • Bary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:22:17 am »
Usually helps to reset menus (View|Visual Layouts|Default Layout...)
Jan 'Bary' Glas

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:11 am »
One of our users had the same problem; lost the project browser. None of the tips helped (alt-0, reset menu's, even a re-install), untill we figured out that the project browser was still there, but it was squeezed into a single, almost invisible line. This happens when you drag the bottom of the window up to the top.
Sometimes you need to check the outlet before taking the powersupply out... ;)

thomas.kilian

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:18 am »
Nice finding :) But I guess that EA should mark the window as "not there" if it's squeezed below a minimum.

supertaff

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:33:07 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I have fixed the problem now, but unfortunately don't know how I did it.

I was clicking numerous settings in the options menu, I also adjusted my screens between my laptop monitor and my second desktop monitor.  At some point while doing this, the project browser re-appeared.

One of the problems I think I have is that I run the main portion of EA on my main dektop monitor, then undock the Project browser and element windows and drag them off to my laptop monitor so as to get the most windows visible at one time.

But from my perspective it's fixed now and I'm back to creating my dedisgn document.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I just hope it doens't happen again.

Regards

Mark Thomas

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:17 am »
Mark,

I've heard others complain about losing an EA window. Several times the user in question has had a second monitor, so this is likely a factor.

Usually we've been able to recover the window by resetting the menus. I think you've stumbled onto a case where this did not work. However, despite your not knowing exactly which tweak fixed you up, you've provided another hint on how this can be resolved. I suspect that carefully restoring everything to the default monitor will correct the problem.

Thanks for the data point.

David

No, you can't have it!

Oliver F.

• EA User
  • Aren´t we all in the model business ?
    • View Profile
    • Karl Storz homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »
One of the problems I think I have is that I run the main portion of EA on my main dektop monitor, then undock the Project browser and element windows and drag them off to my laptop monitor so as to get the most windows visible at one time.

This is exactly the scenario I would have guessed if I had seen this posting before- sorry for being late  ::)

This happens to me frequently with spreadsheets and other software- I use to cross check things on th elaptop and have the primary documents on my primary monitor display. Then I suddenly rush to a meetng, undock the laptop and forget about that second display.
This often leads to the surprise that Excel seems not to open a document (in fact it opens but on the second display which is simply not there).
Another surprise: In the meeting I attach a beamer and suddenly it shows some sheets I am not so interested in publically showing because such sheets suddenly raise a lot of interest and tend to distract from the real discussion topics :D

Oliver

Jan ´Bary´ Glas

• EA User
  • Bary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 12:12:20 am »
...In the meeting I attach a beamer and suddenly it shows some sheets I am not so interested in publically ...
If it's just sheets, it's okay.  ;)
Jan 'Bary' Glas

Oliver F.

• EA User
  • Aren´t we all in the model business ?
    • View Profile
    • Karl Storz homepage
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:05:56 am »
If it's just sheets, it's okay.  ;)

Which makes me aware that you definitely have no imagination what I have in my sheets :D

Olvier