Author Topic: postgreSQL DDL generation problems  (Read 818 times)

son-of-sargasso

• EA User
    • View Profile
postgreSQL DDL generation problems
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:08:25 pm »
Hi guys,

A list of problems I'm having with postgreSQL DDL generation,  please confirm so I will raise formal request(s) ... or is it me?

• EA doesn't generate "INHERITS" clause - postgreSQL supports inherited tables, we have used that extensively here to provide both  central audit support and code typing ("rich" enums).  Our newly developed humungous model has over 150 tables, many of which inherit "taudit" and many of which inherit "tcodebase".  No matter what I try, I cannot get EA to comply with generalization links between the tables.
  • There are lots of missing datatypes - firstly, the basic  postgreSQL datatype list is 122 types long, double this for array types.  We are/intend to use many of these.  Do I have to create all these by hand or is there some way to generate them automagically?
  • How do we model refcursors? - Some of the types we want to use are refcursors, i.e. subsets of another tables contents (for want of a better explanation).  How can we model these?  Yhey are not views.
  • Deleted tagged values are still there - At some point in time a few tables got a tagged value "OWNER" added instead of "OWNER TO",  the DDL generator seems to think they still have the "OWNER" tag.  How do we get rid of this, it generates incorrect DDL?
cheers
bruce

mod - new item added
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:34:17 pm by barrydrive »

Craig-Mitchell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: postgreSQL DDL generation problems
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:02:36 am »
Hi Bruce

I'm also trying to use EA with Postgresql and also having data type issues.  Have you resolved any of your concerns?

Thanks,
Craig

son-of-sargasso

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: postgreSQL DDL generation problems
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:39:03 pm »
Not a sausage.  >:(

Not only but also.....

It seems that postgresql is a tad ahead of the industry here.  The inheritance issue really causes me "lower inter-testinal aggravation" btw.  

Stick with me, maybe we'll get some action.   ::)

bruce