Author Topic: Region containment not correct in HTML report  (Read 1270 times)

darryl_staflund

• EA User
  • "mmmMMMmmm!!!   UML!"  -- Attributed to Homer
    • View Profile
Region containment not correct in HTML report
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »
Hi there,

I have created a number of activity diagrams in which I have perform the following sequence of modifications:

1.  Added a number of activities to the diagram.
2.  Added an Interruptable Activity Region to the diagram.
3.  Moved the previously defined activities into the region so that they are shown as being contained by the region in EA's Project Browser.
4.  Added more activities to the diagram and made sure to place them directly within the Interruptable Activity Region.

When I generate an HTML report of the resulting document, the containment relationships between activity and region aren't right.  Some activities are depicted (in the left-side icon tree of the HTML report) as residing withi the Interruptable Activity Region, while other are depicted as residing outside this region.  They should all be depicted as residing within the activity region.

Darryl
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:57:21 pm by darryl_staflund »

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Region containment not correct in HTML report
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:51 pm »
Hi Darryl,

Is it the case that All the activities show up nested within the Activity Region in the browser?

I would suspect that if in the HTML report they are not all nested, then they won't be in the browser.

Did you save the diagram before you generated the HTML report?
Sometimes EA gets things wrong unless they've been persisted to disk.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

darryl_staflund

• EA User
  • "mmmMMMmmm!!!   UML!"  -- Attributed to Homer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:18:51 am »
Hi Paulo,

'Nested' -- that's the word I was looking for :-)

Yes, all activities show up as nested in the Activity Region of the browser though they don't all appear as nested in the HTML report.

I am not sure if I saved the diagram or not.  I regenerated my HTML report for the problematic diagram this morning and everything it looks great -- no problem at all.  I'll just chalk this up as a one-off :-)

Darryl
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:20:16 am by darryl_staflund »

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »
Hi Darryl,

If it worked fine this time, then it was most likely that things hadn't been persisted to the DB.

When something in EA doesn't work as you expect, first make sure all relevant diagrams have been saved to the DB.

Because EA is DB based, there is the issue of "what is the truth"?  What's on the screen or in the DB?

You just need to ensure they are both saying the same thing (Consistency!).  Things work better that way...  ;)

Paolo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:07:28 pm by PaoloFCantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!