Author Topic: SQL Server Database Setup  (Read 1781 times)

Robert Kuropkat

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
SQL Server Database Setup
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
All,

I'm getting an error when I try to access my repository in a SQL Server database.  I was able to upload the base project, etc. using local Windows authentication.  I can also access the project this way.  However, when I try to access it as a different user, I get the following error:

Enterprise Architect has experienced a network error and will shutdown.

which it does.  I assume this is a SQL Server user setup issue, but can't seem to track it down.  If anyone knows the FM I can RT I'd appreciate the pointer...

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: SQL Server Database Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »
Can you access the SQL server database with another client using these settings (Windows authentication)?

Geert
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:48:26 pm by Geert.Bellekens »

MadDuck

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:44:29 am »
I have the same problem using an Oracle Database with an ODBC connection. Is there any log i can read to see what the root problem might be?

It was working OK at 9.45 today and without any change (that i know of) at 10.00 this error came up and there is nothing i can do to correct it.

I can connect to the Oracle Database with other clients using the same login/password.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:25 am »
There is a dbError.txt in the aplications root folder, but it usually doesn't help all that much.

Geert

MadDuck

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:12:32 am »
It seems that in my case the problem was related to a "cursor shortage problem" caused by another application... the DBA is still looking at it, and ill reply to this post if it indeed was the problem.

Regards

MadDuck

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
Well, it was a database problem in my case; the database could not open new cursors since another application had reached the maximum.

I hope this may help others..

John Rawlinson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »
I had this same error messages for other users. Solution was to add those users to the database and grant it db_datawriter and db_datareader profiles.

Pete Kirkham

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:03:46 pm »
I'm also getting the network error using a local MySQL repository during a 'Get Latest' to rebuild a model from XMI. EA will allow normal operation for most of the model, but won't complete the import of some packages.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »
Pete,

Did you get anything in the DBerror.txt?

Geert

Pete Kirkham

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:06 pm »
No, nothing in dberror.txt; nothing obvious in the server logs either.

The package in question contains a large number of elements with linked documents. The XML file is 58,997,116 bytes, and if imported into a local .EAP the EAP is 41,961,472 bytes. Deleting the package from the model and running 'Get All Latest' again produces the same error on the next large package - there are about 4000 packages in the model, though we're trying to split it into smaller chunks, and eight of them are above 8MB as XML, the largest few being 57,618, 20,988, 17,648, 12,745, and 12,147 KB.

Moving one of the requirements with a linked document into its own package and exporting that to XMI, that too fails to import with 'network error'. The linked document consists of two page-sized bitmaps, is 4,977,424 bytes base 64, which is around 3 and a half megabytes binary.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:52:28 am by pkirkham »

Luis J. Lobo

• EA User
  • IT Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »
Anyone has resolved this issue?

I'm having the same problem.

We import several "branches" with "Import model Branch" from SVN to MySQL repository, but when the repository grows, the import process thows a network error. The configuration should be fine because the previos importation works ok, but sometimes appears this error.

Note 1: the error is not depending on the branch. Sometimes appears with one branch and another times with other branch.

Note 2: If a do a Project Transfer from MySQL to EAP, the EAP size is about 300 MB.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:00 am »
It's probably better to send a bug report into sparx systems.

Also, the dberror.txt probably isn't going to help you too much.  But it allows someone from sparx to know more precisely where the error is than 'during xmi import'.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

mvinca

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 02:41:17 am »
The issue on not being able to Get Latest on a package isn't limited to DBMS setups. I get similar issues when using an EAP file. I think EA just has a hard time when there are a lot of elements. This I find surprising and disappointing.

The reason I ran across this thread was that I had just switched to MySQL from EAP files. Everything seemed to be working "better" until I tried to do a baseline. Consistently, no matter how small the package, at the end of the baseline process I get the error "Enterprise Architect has experienced a network error and will shutdown." Which is amusing since I'm connecting to MySQL through a pipe. ;)

So has anyone heard from EA about this vague and useless network error message?