Author Topic: EA14 beta: new eapx repository  (Read 5076 times)

Michael A

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
EA14 beta: new eapx repository
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:29:32 am »
What is the difference between the new .eapx repository and the .eap repository used in previous releases of EA? It seems to be the preferred file in EA 14 since it is the default when creating new local repository. Can I transfer my models in .eapx to an .eap repository?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:31:30 am by mike.asfaw »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: EA14 beta: new eapx repository
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:58 am »
eapx is a Jet 4 database, so it supports unicode. Jet 4 isn't a new thing for EA, but there's often confusion around it.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:22:22 pm »
eapx is a Jet 4 database, so it supports Unicode. Jet 4 isn't a new thing for EA, but there's often confusion around it.
So, Simon, does that mean we can just rename one of our (Jet4) .eap files to .eapx and it will work "out of the box" with 14?

If so, we might leave our shortcut files as .eap and our real repositories as .eapx.  Not that it matters so much since we prefix ALL our shortcut files with "@".

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:04:46 pm »
does that mean we can just rename one of our (Jet4) .eap files to .eapx
I decided against offering that suggestion in my previous reply. I've seen enough instances where people thought they had a JET 4 repository but actually didn't.

If EA can't open the file when JET 4 is disabled, but can when it is enabled, it is probably1 a JET 4 model, and shouldn't add to the confusion if you renamed it. Alternatively, if you can set the name of something to a sequence of characters from different languages/characters sets, close the model and re-open it and they are still there you should also be safe. Here's sample text that I just verified that is round tripped:
يَحظى чудна ĉiu größeren ψημένηמאוכזב वाले つねならむ 입술끼리 џвакацитрусกว่าบรรดา 視野無限廣 中国智造

1 It wouldn't actually surprise me if there are some circumstances where a particular database corruption would cause a Jet 3.5 model to fail to open in Jet 3.5 code, but Jet 4 code ignores or handles the error.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:13:20 pm by Simon M »
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »
does that mean we can just rename one of our (Jet4) .eap files to .eapx
I decided against offering that suggestion in my previous reply. I've seen enough instances where people thought they had a JET 4 repository but actually didn't.

If EA can't open the file when JET 4 is disabled, but can when it is enabled, it is probably1 a JET 4 model, and shouldn't add to the confusion if you renamed it. Alternatively, if you can set the name of something to a sequence of characters from different languages/characters sets, close the model and re-open it and they are still there you should also be safe. Here's sample text that I just verified that is round-tripped:
يَحظى чудна ĉiu größeren ψημένηמאוכזב वाले つねならむ 입술끼리 џвакацитрусกว่าบรรดา 視野無限廣 中国智造

1 It wouldn't actually surprise me if there are some circumstances where a particular database corruption would cause a Jet 3.5 model to fail to open in Jet 3.5 code, but Jet 4 code ignores or handles the error.
Thanks for the warning!

In our case, we can guarantee all our .EAP files are Jet4 since we can't open Jet3.5 files with our MS Access versions.  So, we convert all Jet3.5 files (of any consequence) to Jet4 and go from there.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:36:01 pm »
In our case, we can guarantee all our .EAP files are Jet4 since we can't open Jet3.5 files with our MS Access versions.  So, we convert all Jet3.5 files (of any consequence) to Jet4 and go from there.
Ditto with the addition that any new eap files created are now jet4
We achieve this by replacing EABase.eap in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sparx Systems\EA\ with jet4 template
Happy to help
:)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:45:54 pm »
Ditto with the addition that any new eap files created are now jet4
We achieve this by replacing EABase.eap in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sparx Systems\EA\ with jet4 template
I forgot we did that also...  We did it specifically for our snapshots via Project Transfer.  In fact, we create two snapshots, one with the unadorned Jet4 EABase.eap from Sparx and one with our "adjusted" Jet4 schema.
We change the EABase "on the fly" - as required.

Paolo
-Semantica-

MarkoBoskovic

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
EA 14 Tagged values // Convert eapx to eap
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:03 pm »
Hello guys, I have two questions..
First one --- how to extract tagged values to cvs, but tagged values have same name so when I creat CVS file I only got one Type of tagged values like in one component i have 5 tagged values with same name and when i exctract svc file, excel show me only one tagged values, how to represent all 5  ?

And secound --- how to convert eapx to eap ?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 12:22:06 am »
A) write your own exporter. Start with the csv im-/export script in EAScriptLib.
B) (AFAIK) EAPX is Jet 4 M$ Access and EAP is the old Jet3.5. Use some Mickeysoft tool for that.

B) read the 1st response above.

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: EA 14 Tagged values // Convert eapx to eap
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:33 am »
First one --- how to extract tagged values to cvs, but tagged values have same name so when I creat CVS file I only got one Type of tagged values like in one component i have 5 tagged values with same name and when i exctract svc file, excel show me only one tagged values, how to represent all 5  ?

Your not a member of the Opus Dei priesthood are you?
If not take then easy route.
Change the tag names. You should be able to change the tag names using MS Access.
Don't change eapx to eap files as its a backward step.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:13:09 am by Sunshine »
Happy to help
:)

reelopes

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: EA 14 Tagged values // Convert eapx to eap
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 12:49:13 am »

To convert a file EAPX to EAP you may use the resource "Configure > Transfer> Project Transfer". Use the option File to File. It works very well.