Import MDG Technologies to Model
If you locate or create an MDG Technology that is of use to your project, you can import it into the project either:
- For only your own use; that is, import the technology into the %APPDATA%\Sparx Systems\EA\MDGTechnologies folder on your workstation, or
- To be available to all users of the model, through the 'Resources' tab of the Browser window for the model
To import an MDG Technology you must have a suitable MDG Technology XML file. If the MDG Technology includes references to any metafiles, they should be in the same directory as the MDG Technology XML file.
The Model Patterns provided with the MDG Technology must each have the relevant Pattern XML file, and an RTF file with the same file name containing a description of the Pattern, in the ModelPatterns directory within the Enterprise Architect install directory.
On start up, Enterprise Architect scans both the APPDATA folder and the Enterprise Architect Install directory MDGTechnologies subfolder for technology files, to make them available through the 'MDG Technologies' dialog and, for model Technologies, the 'Resources' tab of the Browser window. Technologies imported to the APPDATA folder are indicated by the text 'Location: Technology.xml'. The Model Patterns have to be imported into the ModelPatterns directory on the user's system separately.
Specialize > Technologies > Publish Technology > Import MDG Technology
In the 'Resources' tab of the Browser window | Right-click MDG Technologies folder | Import Technology
Import a technology
On the 'Import MDG Technology' dialog, in the 'Filename' field, type the path and filename of the MDG Technology file to import, or browse for it using the button.
When you enter the filename, the MDG Technology name and version display in the 'Technology' and 'Version' fields, and any notes display in the 'Notes' field.
Select the appropriate radio button for the type of import you want to perform:
Click on the .
Once the import to APPDATA is complete, you must restart Enterprise Architect; the MDG Technology is then listed in the 'MDG Technologies' dialog.
- To remove an MDG Technology that has been added to APPDATA, locate the appropriate XML file in the %APPDATA%\Sparx Systems\EA\MDGTechnologies folder and delete it
- Consider the fact that some MDG Technologies can be large and might impose some delays on the workstation as they load each time a user connects to the model
- To remove an MDG Technology from the 'Resources' tab of the Browser window and the model, either:
- Right-click on the Technology name and select the 'Remove Technology' menu option, or
- Click on the Technology name in the 'Manage MDG Technologies' dialog and click on the